Day 12 - Devizes to Chertsey

Posted by: Rob on 02/08/2019
Banner showing boats on the river


91.76 mi
02/08/2019 07:14 BST
11.50 mph
27.74 mph
8091.95 Btu
0.09 hp
Elevation Gain
Elevation Gain:
2073.16 ft
2244.42 ft
Elevation Range
Elevation Range:
553.81 ft
38.71 ft
79 °F
59 °F
768.86 mi
4.96 mi
768.86 mi
4.96 mi

A looong day

When I woke up I was still angry about all the extra miles I did yesterday needlessly going around Bath. I could have been 15 miles or more up the road without it, meaning today would be shorter than it was going to be.

So I packed up early and hit it! I knew it was going to be a long one, so the key was to keep moving and not stop too often.

After a brief bit of canal path, it was on to quiet roads. This was all part of NCN4 which I do actually have a gpx track for, so that made life much easier. I could also take short cuts along more mainish roads to avoid the unnecessary wiggling of the official route.

The miles ticked by. I stopped briefly for some breakfast and then again for an early lunch. Being on roads is so much quicker than being on canal paths, but when the route turned into canal stuff, I didn't mind as it makes for a bit of a change.

After a while I came unstuck as the path was closed! They could have put the sign saying as much at the last point it crossed a road so you could take a detour. Fortunately, it was only about a mile extra to get back to a road.

The road in question was the A4. I wasn't sure what it would be like, but it was fine. Nice and wide and as I hit closer to Reading there were cycle lanes too. So the closure was a blessing in disguise as this was much faster!

Once in the middle of Reading I foolishly rejoined the NCN4. Of course, it weaved all around the town centre for absolutely no reason. Once through, I plotted my own route that would cut a big chunk off the route. This worked really well and I realised at this point that I would actually make Chertsey (where I wanted to camp) at a reasonable time.

I phoned the campsite to make sure they weren't full and they said they weren't and I could rock up any time before 8. I had a little rest knowing I no longer needed to rush, then pushed on.

I got to Windsor and got back on the NCN as it was worth sticking to from then on. It seemed to take forever to get to Chertsey, but I arrived some time after 5. They fitted me in, so I pitched up, showered and headed out for something to eat.

I am in the pub and have just eaten a massive pizza! I even ordered a side salad to be healthy! I shall retire to my tent shortly as I'm rather tired!

Tomorrow will be my last day. A quick ride across London, then home!

The bottom half of the internet

Currently 1 comment

If you want to post a comment you're gunna need to Login

Register if you don't have an account. It will take seconds! No email required!

Karen on 03/08/2019 06:44:11
Well done Rob, hope the last day goes well.