Day 2 Luss to Oban

Posted by: Rob on 24/05/2023
Castle on loch


73.20 mi
24/05/2023 07:02 BST
10.21 mph
32.57 mph
13467.42 Btu
0.10 hp
Elevation Gain
Elevation Gain:
4196.19 ft
4162.07 ft
Elevation Range
Elevation Range:
859.58 ft
-49.21 ft
73 °F
48 °F
139.82 mi
399.65 mi
139.82 mi
399.65 mi

Some hills today!

As you might expect, I slept well and was up bright and early. Earlier than anyone else on the site in fact!

Ir was a nice morning with plenty of sun poking through the clouds. I packed up my stuff and experienced a strange phenomenon - there was no dew! What's that all about? My tent was bone dry. Usually the downside of getting off early is having to pack up a wet tent, but none of that today!

I headed north keeping the loch to my right. It was all cycle path at that point, which was good as the road was quite busy. At the top of the lock I turned west. This was also good as the traffic all seemed to carry on north.

I'd only had a few snacks for breakfast, so when I reached Arrochar at the top of Loch Long, I stopped at a little café for a bacon roll. I also bought some tablet to nibble on.

The weather was OK at this point, but it was quite windy. And it always seemed to be a headwind whichever way the road turned.

After a while, I left the loch and started to climb. This was quite a big one called Rest and be Thankful. Ominous!

It wasn't really steep, but there were a lot of roadworks. This actually worked out well as it kept the traffic in small groups, so once one lot went past, I had the road to myself as traffic was let through in the other direction.

Eventually I reached the top where there was a conveniently placed snack bar. So I got a burger. I rested and I was thankful.

Then the weather took a turn for the worse. The decsent was nice enough, but after that it's all a bit of a blur. Just lots of grinding out the miles into a massive headwind.

When I eventually got to Loch Awe (where I stopped for some food) I realised I only had maybe 25 miles to go. The rain had stopped and the sun was trying to come out.

I was also only a few miles from a much quieter road which I was looking forward to.

When I got there, the sun was fully out and the road deserted other than a few sheep.

After a while I came across a herd of Highland Cattle. I thought it would be the perfect photo opportunity, but one of them took a dislike to me and blocked the road! It was doing the whole hoof dragging thing as if it was going to charge. You'll just have to trust me on that one! There were quite a few calves, so I'm guessing that's what that was about.

Anyway, I still needed to get around it, so I used the old roll a big stone along the ground trick. It didn't seem at all bothered, but it was distracted for a moment, so I made my move. It didn't seem to care about me at all as I went past, so maybe it was never going to charge me 😋

So I got out of there and made my way to the campsite. The road was seriously up and down, but I didn't care as the sun was shining.

The site was a bit more in the middle of nowhere than I expected and I really couldn't be bothered to go back out for food as I was knackered - what with all the hills, earlier rain and not to mention the vicious attack cows.

But as luck would have it, there's a 'Campers Shelter' where people leave any unwanted food. So I grabbed some stale rolls and some noodles for my starter and had one one of my emergency meals as my main course.

That's not going great as I've only been going two nights and both times I couldn't be bothered and had an 'Emergency' meal!

Oh well, I've got time to kill tomorrow morning, so I'll take the chance to stock up on food.

I'm really tired, so will retire to my tent shortly. No need to rush off in the morning as my ferry isn't until about 1pm.

I shall no doubt sleep well.

The bottom half of the internet

Currently 1 comment

If you want to post a comment you're gunna need to Login

Register if you don't have an account. It will take seconds! No email required!

Karen on 24/05/2023 22:20:13
The cattle incident sounded a bit scary! Sounds like an eventful day. Lovely photos - especially in the sun